It’s the beginning of a new semester here in Rochester! Oh Rochester, with your bitterly cold temperatures… We trudge out to class or work in the cold mornings, waiting for when we can finally come back to floor and curl up with a nice mug of hot cocoa. And it’s so easy to get that steaming mug of cocoa now that my lounge has what David refers to as “MIF water cooler.” It’s been a great addition to our suite; I drink so much more tea and cocoa now.
I’m really looking forward to this semester; there’s so much promise at the beginning of things. For me, and many of the wonderful people I’ve been living with these past 21/2 years, this will be our last semester in Rochester. But for one new member, it’s his first living on MIF! He’s been a great addition to floor so far, especially since he adds to our collection of great, unique laughs (I’m looking at you, Jamie). In addition to one new on-floor member, we also have 6 new off-floor members, all freshmen. Our on-floor numbers are down this semester, as we had 4 (!) people go abroad this semester (and one off-floor member as well). We wish them the best of luck, and many happy times in their cities.
Well, that’s all for now. Be looking for more updates in the future! And hopefully from more than just me; it’d be great to have a bunch of different voices contributing.
Hey everyone! Welcome back to floor! We have a lot of fun events planned for this semester. We are really excited to get to know all the new members as they get used to our awesome community, and (emerge from their rooms to) chill with us older members in our lovely lounges!
Hey guys, just the awesome toast to start off. I'm still in Rochester so expect photos and a more detailed account of the end of the year when I get back to NYC! Soon to be making my last post to this website.
A MIF performance of hilarity, epicness, and glass drinking apparatus. And of course, Cake.
Sir Royling has required that we be makin' a note here (which of course must relate to colossal achievement, but not really).
Anyway, I will sadly not be living on floor next semester, but I will certainly be around (and I would certainly be around even more if this teleportation thing starts to work), especially because the illustrious Nick Stevens has acquired a magnificent piece of wood and circuitry that is a Yamaha Electone Organ!!!
Well, that's about all I've got for now. Have a great summer!
Congratulations to the newly accepted on-floor MIF members! Housing draw was tonight and as a senior, I of course jet out of there as soon as possible. But I hear that everyone was happy with their room choices and the floor is abuzz with excitement over a new batch of MIFers and the newly created suites.
Without further ado, here are the new fall 2011 Music Interest Floor members (and one beloved returning member!)
Howdy MIF and friends of MIF. Floor has been bustling anew with energy this past month and will continue to stay busy after Spring break due to housing. It's safe to say we've broken into our mid semester stride and are steaming our way through the rest of the year. Here are some recent event highlights!
Wine and Cheese:
Coffee House: yet another successful iteration of an event started last semester by our Projects Committee. Look to the near future for more of these types of events!
Love Lumps: In which Chris Kauffman gets punked (with love)
Fri, 10 PM - midnight
Coffeehouse Performance—Bryan Brown and Olivia Frise will be performing at Starbucks.
Sat, 7-9 PM
Film: Nowhere Boy—Cinema Group presents a movie deeply rooted in music.
Fri, 7:30 PM
Linehan Chapel of the Academic College (Nazareth)
Nazareth College Symphony Orchestra—Free admission. For more information, call 585-389-2700.
Fri, 7:30 PM
Hochstein Performance Hall
Faculty Concert Series: Triumph from the Trenches—Free admission. For more information, call 585-454-4596.
Fri, 8-10 PM
Kodak Hall (ESM)
Eastman Wind Orchestra—Conducted by Mark Davis Scatterday and Christopher Unger. The Eastman Wind Orchestra is the school's freshman/sophomore wind ensemble, focusing on standard wind band classics, music for chamber winds, new music for wind ensemble and transcriptions. This event is free and open to the public.
Sun, 2-4 PM
Howard Hanson Hall (ESM)
ECMS Piano Studio Recital: Students of Tamari Gurevich
Sun, 3-5 PM
Kilbourn Hall (ESM)
Faculty Artist Series: Steven Doane, cello—Eastman faculty members are world-renowned soloists and chamber musicians; their recitals in the School's beautiful Kilbourn Hall are an important part of Rochester's concert calendar. Admission: $10 General Public, free to U/R ID holders. Tickets are required, and are available at the door on the day of the concert only.
Sun, 3 PM
Gerald G. Wilmot Hall of Music (Nazareth)
Winners and Losers—A musical tribute to the Super Bowl with works about rivalries. Works by Corelli, Rameau, Telemann and Bach. Sophia Gibbs Kim, flute; Ingrid Bock, cello; Bonnie Choi, harpsichord. Free admission. For more information, call 585-389-2700.
Oh snap, 4 videos uploaded. Check it out, rate 5 stars, go hog wild.
Hey everyone! By the time y'all see this post, it should be Christmas day, so happy Christmas everyone! I hope everyone's break is going well so far and that everyone's pulling some sweet swag from their families and friends. Anyways, the MIF website should be live by the 25th and everything should be working. If I could get everyone to check a few things while we go through a beta phase during break that'd be awesome.
1) Post a comment to this blog, I wanna make sure that trackback system is working as intended
2) Post a comment to the general comments form under contact us, ditto to the trackback/ email system
3) Check out your picture under current members, if you don't like it please email me (email@example.com) a picture you'd like me to use and I'll crop it to the correct size for you and re-upload it.
4) Suggest to me photos to put under the photos section of the page! I figure we could keep about 50-60 recent photos in rotation as our floor does events.
5) Check back to this blog in a few days for more updates! I'll be uploading some videos I've taken with my camera to our newly created youtube account so stay tuned on that. I'll also be working on the shared google calendar account which the main site will link to very soon.
6) Do you like the banner pictures I have up? If not make one and send it to me! We can have a total of 8 in rotation, one for each link of the site. When making the banner, the dimensions have to be 752 by 300 exactly, if you're picture is too small, just add a black strip on each side of it so that it fits with the site's color scheme.
7) Last but not least, if you don't like any of the descriptions or whatnot on the site, just email me and I'll change it. I'll have to defer to P/R committee and our exec board for the final word of course. Also the MIF application is live as well and I've tested it to confirm that it's working. Please don't email me about the questions though, they are simply placeholder questions and will change as soon as our spring housing committee is elected and in place.